Parent & Tutor Resource Websites
Sites for Learning Disabilities:
- Susan Barton Reading and Spelling: www.bartonreading.com
- National Center for learning Disabilities: www.ncld.org
- National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities: www.nichy.org
- The Council for Exceptional Children: www.cec.org
- Family Connection: www.familyconnections.org
- Pro Parents: www.proparents.org
- Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities: www.pandas.org
- Wrightslaw: www.wrightslaw.com
- Online Resources for Dyslexia and Learning Disabilities Dyslexiahelp.umich.edu
Reading Materials and Apps to Download
- Alphabet zoo: A great tool for helping young readers to recognize letter sounds.
- ABC Phonics Word Families: Using word families to teach patterns in word sets.
- MeeGenius! Kid's Books: Practice reading series with illustrations.
- WordSort: Top educational app for older kids to identify parts of speech. Emphasizes grammar skills.
- Blio: Helps those with reading disabilities to make sense of text.
- Audiobooks: Collection of free audio-books.
Low Cost Apps:
- Speak It!: $1.99 Text to Speech solution for students with reading disabilities.
- Dyslexia Like Me: $3.99 Interactive children's book that helps students understand dyslexia.
- Find the Letters HD: $4.99 A favorite of special ed teachers. Builds spatial depth, form discrimination, and concentration and attention.
- Montessori Crosswords: $2.99 Improve spelling and reading skills through phonics-based exercises.
- ABC PocketPhonics: $6.99 Teach reading disabled students the fundamentals of letters and shapes.
- Sound Literacy: $24.99 With a portion of the proceeds from this app going to the Dyslexia Association, there's no reason not sign on! This app is incredibly useful, employing the Orton-Gillingham method to help students recognize the spelling of English Phonemes.
Get the Tutor Weekly Report Get the Tutor Monthly Summary